We live in a two-bedroom house, and our garage was completely full. We wanted a place to store our bikes, but the garage wasn’t enough. My husband and I wanted a place for friends and family to congregate when they visit; we also wanted somewhere to work on projects together. The garage was too small for this type of activity and we had space that didn’t have a purpose—it needed one! So we decided to take out some walls between our bedrooms and create an open floor plan. Now we have a multipurpose room where guests can relax with us as well as work on projects together or watch television while lounging around on the sectional sofa (our favorite piece of furniture).
To create this space yourself: take out any unnecessary walls between rooms; invest in good lighting throughout your house; buy furniture that has multiple uses (like sectional sofas); plant flowers outside your door; put up shelves for storage or anything else you want!
Our house has a garage, but that wasn’t enough.
Our house has a garage, but that wasn’t enough. We wanted a place to store our bikes and other stuff that isn’t used on a daily basis. We had friends and family visiting, so it made sense for them to have somewhere comfortable to sit down and relax while they were here. My husband and I also had tons of space that didn’t have any kind of purpose (or even furniture), so we decided to make the most out of it by turning it into something useful!
We wanted a place to store our bikes.
Bikes are one of the best ways to get around New York City. They’re also a great way to stay fit and active, which is why we wanted our bikes stored in a place where they could be easily accessed when needed. Our multi-purpose room is located right next to our garage, so it was perfect for storing our bikes out of the weather and out of sight when not in use.
We wanted a place for friends and family to congregate when they visit.
We wanted a place for friends and family to congregate when they visit. We have small children, so we needed a space where they could play without being in the way of adults who were relaxing or socializing. We also wanted a space that would be comfortable for all ages, from newborns to grandparents.
My husband and I wanted a place to work on projects together.
We wanted a place to work on projects together.
We wanted to be able to see each other while working.
We wanted to be able to get out of the house when we needed a break from each other (or just have some alone time).
And we didn’t want our garage taken over by all of our projects!
We had a lot of space that didn’t have a purpose and it needed one.
When we first moved into our house, we had a lot of space that didn’t have a purpose and it needed one. We were inspired by other multi-purpose rooms we had seen before. We wanted this room to be a place where people could relax, work and play.
We decided to take out the wall between the rooms and open up the space for guests, hobbies, and general relaxation.
Removing the wall between our two rooms was the best choice we could have made. The open space is a great place for family and friends, hobbies, and general relaxation.
The new layout allows us to use one side of the room as an office when we want some quiet time; on other days it’s just another place for everyone in our family to gather around (or spread out). We can even use this area as an extra bedroom when needed!
Then we had to figure out what would go where!
After we knew what we wanted to do with the room, it was time to figure out how we were going to use it. We decided on a few key things:
- A ping-pong table! I’ve always wanted one of these and I’ve been looking at them on Amazon since before we even moved into our house. They’re so fun and they can be used by people of all ages (my parents love playing).
- A couch and coffee table for lounging around after dinner or hanging out in front of the TV at night. We also have some plants in here that add some greenery without taking up too much space or needing too much maintenance (like having real trees!).
- An area where kids can do homework or play video games if they want–we decided not put anything too distracting in here because sometimes it’s nice just being able to relax without any distractions!
You can turn an extra room into something functional with just some creativity.
You can turn an extra room into something functional with just some creativity. It’s amazing how much you can do with a little imagination and elbow grease.
- You can use a room for many things: an office, playroom and more.
- You can make a room multi-purpose: for example, if you decide to turn your attic into an office or library (or both), then it would be nice if it could double as somewhere else when needed–such as when the kids want some quiet time away from their parents!
- You can make a room more functional: by adding shelving units along one wall so there’s somewhere safe to store toys; installing blinds/curtains that let light through but keep out prying eyes; putting up hooks where coats hang during winter months but come down again once spring arrives… There are so many different ways of making any given space work better than before!
We’re so happy with how things turned out and we’re excited to see what the future holds for this space. It has definitely become a place where we can relax, work on projects together, and entertain guests when they visit our home. We hope that this inspires you to think about how you can make better use of any extra rooms in your house!